Qualified umpires are an important part of insuring safety, competitiveness, consistency, and fairness in our league. Foothills Little League needs to supply umpires for Seniors, Juniors, Majors/Nationals and Minors levels. Last season we provided umpires to cover over 150 games.
Foothills will continue to pay premium rates to its Level 1/2/3 umpires. Umpires should have a good knowledge of baseball, be at least 12 years old, and must have taken at least a Level 1 umpire training course.
Parents are strongly encouraged to take up umpiring. We are in need of older umpires for our Junior and Senior games and umpiring is great exercise and a fun way to be involved in the game.
District 3 Umpire Clinic Info
Intermediate and Senior Umpire Clinic
April 14, the registration link will be available shortly on the Alberta District 3 Umpires website (top right corner):
New and 1st/2nd Year Umpire Clinic
The new and junior clinic will run April 1 from 5 to 9 pm, April 3 from 5 to 9 pm and April 7 from 1 to 4:30 pm. April 1 and 3 will be at JT's Lounge at Triwood Community Centre (2244 Chicoutimi Drive NW) and April 7 will be at Triwood Arena.
We are limited to 35 attendees so register early.
The below are the requirements for Foothills Little League only this year. If you are planning to umpire in other districts please check with them on their requirements.
- Umpires with 5 or more years experience and who have attended a senior umpire clinic in the last 3 years are exempt from needing to attend a clinic this year.
- Umpires with 3 or more years experiences who want to do junior or seniors games and have not done the senior umpire clinic must attend the senior clinic put on by district in order to umpire above Majors/Nationals.
- Otherwise you don't have to attend a clinic this year but you will be limited to Majors/Nationals and below unless special circumstances arise.
- New umpires and umpires with 1 or 2 years experience need to attend the Foothills Little League clinic on March 30 and 31
- If you cannot attend the FHLL clinic we will try and get you into another associations clinic but this should be a last resort as space in their clinics will be limited
- You must attend both days of the clinic as there will be a written test on Sunday afternoon
FHLL provides the basic equipment and an umpire shirt for our umpires however you will need to provide the following:
- a protective cup or jill
- heather or charcoal grey pants
- black socks
- black belt
- black shoes (steel toed recommended for higher levels)
Umpire Expectations for FHLL
FHLL Umpires are considered some of the best in District 3 and are in high demand from other associations. In order to maintain that reputation our umpires are expected to:
- arrive at their game a minimum of 20 minutes prior to start and notify the home team coach 15 minutes prior to start that they are in attendance
- conduct the plate meeting 5 minutes before game start time
- maintain a level of professionalism and control at all times
- be impartial at all times
- study the rule book and continue to learn
- work as a team to make sure the right call is made.
2018 League Rules
2018 League Rule links will be posted here.