Qualified umpires are an important part of ensuring safety, competitiveness, consistency, and fairness in our league. Foothills Little League needs to supply umpires for Seniors, Juniors, Majors/Nationals and Minors levels. Last season we provided umpires to cover over 150 games.
Foothills will continue to pay premium rates to its Level 1/2/3 umpires. Umpires should have a good knowledge of baseball, be at least 12 years old, and must have taken at least a Level 1 umpire training course.
Parents are strongly encouraged to take up umpiring. We are in need of older umpires for our Junior and Senior games and umpiring is great exercise and a fun way to be involved in the game
Links to all the training material and final test for 2023 Umpire Course is listed below:
FHLL provides the basic equipment and an umpire shirt for our umpires however you will need to provide the following:
- a protective cup or jill
- heather or charcoal grey pants
- black socks
- black belt
- black shoes (steel toed recommended for higher levels)
Umpire Expectations for FHLL
FHLL Umpires are considered some of the best in District 3 and are in high demand from other associations. In order to maintain that reputation our umpires are expected to:
- arrive at their game a minimum of 20 minutes prior to start and notify the home team coach 15 minutes prior to start that they are in attendance
- conduct the plate meeting 5 minutes before game start time
- maintain a level of professionalism and control at all times
- be impartial at all times
- study the rule book and continue to learn
- work as a team to make sure the right call is made.